We seek a highly motivated full-time Communications Manager to advance the Design Trust’s thought leadership and reputation in unlocking the potential of New York City’s public spaces.
Design Trust for Public Space, recipient of the 2017 National Design Award for Corporation and Institutional Achievement, is a nonprofit organization dedicated to the future of public space in New York City. Our projects bring together city agencies, community groups, and private sector experts to make a lasting impact – through design – on how New Yorkers live, work and play.
The Communications Manager takes a lead role on all communications, outreach and event planning, under the guidance of the Executive Director. The Manager, working with the Executive Director and Board Communications Committee, is responsible for developing and implementing an effective overall communications, media and outreach strategy that raises awareness of the organization, its projects, programs and policy recommendations. Sharing our passion about public space and our mission, the Manager, in coordination with the Executive Director, Director of Programs, and Director of Development will also be responsible for planning and organizing events and programming for media, supporters and the public.
Communications and Media Strategy – Working with the Executive Director and the Board Communications Committee, develop and implement an effective organizational communications, media and outreach strategy, including long- and short-lead plans, campaigns, media briefings, talking points about the Design Trust, its projects and programs, and project launches, identification of new opportunities and cultivation of media outlets.
Branding and Identity – Working closely with the Executive Director and Design Trust staff, oversees branding and identity for the organization, ensuring recognizable brand in all materials and public outreach and timely dissemination of information on Design Trust activities. Conducts communications assessment and update style guidelines, information decks, brochures, letterheads, and all other communication templates.
Media and Public Relations – Serves as liaison to media, project partners and policy makers, including developing and maintaining media contacts, outreach to key media outlets, arranging briefings with media for Executive Director, Board and staff, and serving as press liaison at events. Supports public programming (e.g., workshops, panel discussions) including hiring and recruiting volunteer and internship assistance, as needed. Oversees all owned media, including website, blog, e-newsletter and, social media—Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn.
Press releases, op-eds and communications materials – Leads preparation and distribution of communications materials about organizational activities and updates to target audiences, including messaging through print and online materials for Design Trust; tracking press coverage and a press clippings archive; and maintaining a database of communication vendors (printers, video, production houses, agencies, designers).
Website Management – Create and implement content production for the Design Trust website, designtrust.org and all project specific websites, including photographic documentation of Design Trust activities. Seek to increase web traffic.
Special Events – Working closely with the Director of Programs and Design Trust staff to plan, coordinate and execute special events, such as press announcements, including developing a work plan, organizing and directing events to ensure successful execution with all event consultants, vendors, communications, website management and messaging, maintaining media and contact database.
Document each event through photography and A/V coverage including social media update and web content for each event, feedback collection and developing final reports to evaluate each major event.
Required Background, Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree and at least 2 to 3 years of communications experience in-house and/or PR/marketing agency, experience at a nonprofit organization a plus
- Strong editorial media placement and native content creation skills
- Experience in website management highly preferred
- Strategic and creative thinker with ability to gather and synthesize complex information into compelling messages for target audiences
- Ability to work independently while comfortable as part of a multi-disciplinary team of diverse groups, including staff, donors, community groups, and public agencies
- Interest and preferably experience in the design and/or cultural industries and/or public policy, working with community-based organizations, nonprofits or public agencies
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and organizational skills
- Experience in coordinating events
- Team player and thrives in a small-office environment
- Enthusiasm, sense of humor and positive attitude essential
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, Photoshop, InDesign, social media channels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn); MailChimp a plus
- Experience in Content Management Platforms and Contact Database Systems
The Design Trust offers a competitive salary
based on experience and an excellent benefits package (health, dental, vision,
and 401(k) with an employer match). In addition, Design Trust employees receive
ample vacation and sick time, enjoy a flexible work environment, and work with
a talented team of individuals on public space projects that have a real impact
on New York City’s urban environment.
How to Apply:
Applications will be accepted via email only and will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Only complete applications will be reviewed. Due to the volume of applications, only those candidates short-listed for the first round of interviews will be notified. No phone calls or office visits please.
To apply, send the following as one complete PDF file:
- A cover letter explaining your qualifications for the position, with salary requirements
- Your resume (2 pages maximum)
- Writing samples (3 communications-related samples maximum)
Name your PDF file “lastname_firstname.pdf” and send your complete application to: firstname.lastname@example.org
with “Communications Manager” written in the Subject Line.
About the Design Trust for Public Space:
Design Trust for Public Space is a nonprofit organization that brings design innovation to New York City’s public space. Design Trust is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people of all abilities, ethnicities, genders, national origins or ancestries, socioeconomic statuses, races, formerly incarcerated statuses, religions and sexualities to apply. Design Trust is also committed to accessibility and to working together with you to develop an accessibility plan.